Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whirling Dervish


I had to sit down the other day and get my thoughts together.  I have been having so many ideas lately!  Top that with an urge to paint, a desire to sew, and wanting just to make stuff in general...well, it can overwhelm a girl!  So, sometimes, I just need sit down and take note.  Or rather, make notes of all the ideas I'm having whilst creating.  I'm afraid some of this brilliance will get lost in the flotsam of my pea brain.  Haha!



Along with the free flowing creative juicy juice, I've been thinking a lot about my creative business.  Which is to say, there hasn't been much of one lately.  I'm okay with that, because I do believe there are times when I need to be still.  Look at pretty pictures on Pinterest.  Watch mindless television.  Read a good book.  Bake something yummy, and then eat it.  And then, rested and revived, the ideas start coming.  A little trickle here and there, so I start a project.  And then another.  Without ties to any outcome, just to make something.  That's when the magic happens.  That's when ideas and projects start to morph into goals and dreams.  At least that's the way it is for me.  And that's when I need to slow down again and get organized.  Whirling Dervish, meet Organized Planner.  So, to make each alter ego happy, instead of just making a to do list, which makes Organized Planner happy and motivated, I created a lovely planner just for my ideas and goals and big picture thoughts, which makes Whirling Dervish slow down long enough to at least drool over the pretty pictures.  It's pretty and colorful and chock full of lists, everyone wins.


About the same time, I ran out of calendar pages for my day planner, so I whipped up one that suits my needs, made many many copies, three-hole punched them and now my planner is full through December 31st.  All ready for me to plot and scheme my way through the year.  In the meantime, I keep on creating, journaling, making, stitching, glueing.  And things in the studio were becoming a titch unkempt.


So, I pulled all of my favorite journalng goodies, and began the process of sorting them all out.  I just hate it when I can't find something, and when I'm whirling about things often get lost.  I pulled a bunch of tiny containers then put them on trays.  I had to use the bed in the guest room as a staging area.  Filling all of the tiny vessels with brads and labels and tags and words cut from magazines was great fun!


And now I have my journaling goodies and glue and papers all together in one place.  I know where everything is, and can put my hands right on it when I need it.  Yahoo!  



I'm making progress on the rest of it, and am just loving the process.  I'm finding that my creativity is flowing more naturally, and more bountifully, right now because I'm not screaming towards a fixed deadline.  I'm more goal-focused than time-focused, and that seems to be good place for me to work from.  I'm having fun today, how about you?  

3 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

I am really enjoying journaling of late. It is a great place to pool those creative juices! Love your journal and collections of inspired bits!

Sheila Earhart said...

Just yummy & awesome, Tammy! Love your style & the colors & organizer are beautiful! Thanks for the dose of inspiration.
Sheila

Sandra L. said...

What lovely little containers! I especially love the candy/cookie tins! And the dark blue ceramic heart. I am sucker for hearts. I actually have hearts on my wedding ring! <3